Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_4_] Danny D.[_4_] is offline

Default Lessons learned installing a torsion spring in a typicalresidential garage

On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 06:39:08 -0800, Smitty Two wrote:

It's all a sham and a scam, disguised as a "useful" thread

Smitty,

I debated whether I should respond to you as your post was wholly
inaccurate and needless - and I decided - for better or for worse -
to only respond once, and only once, as the repair is finalized
and the final pay-it-forward summary has been submitted.

So heed my words.

I don't know whom you are talking about in some other thread but as for
the topic of the torsion spring repair, what you're actually objecting
to, surprisingly, is someone who asks on-topic questions, and who
responds to everyone politely, and who pays it forward.

In addition, you seem to be upset that the thread 'appears useful',
and that it covers 'minutia' such as pictures of the torsion spring
repair both before, during and after, and that the thread lasts
until the repair is finished - and then has a final update.

Apparently it hurts and upsets you most that a simple homeowner
garage door repair (which you've done yourself?) ended up being a
bit complicated, where it actually required a relocation of the
torsion spring anchor plate, addition of bearings, hinge replacement,
and, most importantly, a restructuring of the bearing supports themselves.

Apparently you like simple solutions - and - since this problem wasn't
a simple one - it appears to bother you immensely that it just wasn't
as easy as we'd all like it to have been.

Your thought processes perplexes me.

Maybe you don't like the fact that most posters ask the question only to
quickly disappear into the woodwork, with nary a picture nor any update,
nor any desire to pay it forward - and I didn't do that? Is that your
problem?

You clearly say I'm a troll, yet, let the actions speak for themselves.
Was there anything in the thread that wasn't a real issue?
Was there anything in the thread that wasn't backed up with details?
Did you even notice that I backed out when things got personal when
well-intentioned folks (e.g., Oren) and vitriolic ones (DD_BobK)
strongly suggested ripping out the wallboard?

And, did I split up separate topics as they should be?

Let my words and actions speak for themselves:
- The hinges did break and they did need to be replaced
- The torsion spring did break and it did need to be replaced
- The torsion spring was minus a bearing and it did need one added
- The spring end plate was improperly installed & it did need fixing
- The spring end plate did bend - and that was the hardest to rectify
- The cause of the bending was traced to the bearing end plate moving
- The cause of the end plate moving was traced to the lack of support
- The lack of support was solved with the use of metal plate
- This use of metal plate proved to be controversial (not my doing)
- The controversy revolved around the suggestion to remove the wallboard
- Every question was answered accurately & honestly & with photos
- Many of the photos were annotated specifically to answer the questions
- A final summary was given - and if people responded - I answered them.

But, there was more to your tirade, wasn't there?

You also seem to be upset that I strive for anonymity on the net, and,
you seem to equate me with someone you've met in the past, which I find
surprising since I've submitted probably ten to twenty thousand posts on
the net in the past two decades - some of which were with you and in
those you responded quite normally. (Offhand, I must thank Oren &
Trader4, & Ed Pawlowski, & DerbyDad03, & SMS, Jim Elbrecht, and
uncountable others for their thousands of helpful conversations.
Together, 'we' are the USENET, or what survives of it anyway, and
we, many of whom are over 60 years old, have been through it all.)

It surprises me that you pick, out of the thousands of my threads,
one that is particularly complicated - to then label me a 'troll'.

In summary, you are dead wrong, and sadly paranoid. Yet, I can not fix
you - so all I strive to be is a good person, and I pay it forward.
As they say, I will fight to the death for your right to say what you
think and feel. God Bless You - but - please - stay on topic.