Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

Default What smells like gas but probably isn't gas?

On 8 Dec,
harry wrote:

On Dec 7, 5:03*pm, QuackDuck wrote:
Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind my first post being a request for
help, but I've been trawling the internet for days and read about every
website/forum post there is about gas smells in buildings.

[snip]

Probably accumulates when the windows are all closed up.

Could be something died. Bird, rat, mouse etc.

Carbon monoxide detector does not detect gas, only CO in combustion
gases.

The other possibility is a defective chimney, could be a neighbours
appliance in a communal wall. Look in roof space as well as elsewhere
for this. Cracked pointing etc

Could be defective drains, faulty manhole cover, empty water trap on a
sink/toilet letting sewer gas into the place.

Or could be gas from a leaking gas main outside the property coming
through the ground.

I've been taken in several times when SWMBO has creosoted (or some other
supposedly wood preserving product) the fence. The smell leaks into the house
from the garage and has sent me looking (sans match!) for the gas leak.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply