Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Woodman Woodman is offline

Default 2 or 6 Harbor Freight 6/12 volt battery charger model #45005 2 or6 Amps -has a fried diode?

On Friday, December 7, 2012 10:01:55 PM UTC-6, mike wrote:
On 12/7/2012 4:31 PM, Woodman wrote:

I ordered two new SCRs on FleaBay. After I ordered, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to mod this battery charger into a bench power supply. Any tips, ideas, comments, etc. on doing this?

Woody

Publish the desired features and specs.

The devil is in the details.

Not sure what features and specs would make a basic bench power supply, that could be also used for electroplating copper, gold, and silver. My electronics circuit knowledge sucks, but could probably mod charger if had a design.
I have an extra Harbor Freight #45005 car battery charger that has a center-tapped Transformer. On the 6/12 volt, and 2/6 amp settings my meter measured some nice stepping voltages including 8.5, 12, 14, 17.5, 24, 28.5. Not sure if present circuit board could be adapted or not because I don't yet understand it. Or if it should be bypassed completely and only the transformer, metal case, and amp meter be salvaged. Any tips, suggetions, etc. would be appreciated.

Woody