Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Auto "Black Boxes" to be required shortly

On 12/7/2012 5:44 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 12/7/2012 11:16 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 12/7/2012 9:55 AM, HeyBub wrote:
"In the next few days, the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration is
expected to propose long-delayed regulations requiring auto
manufacturers to
include event data recorders — better known as "black boxes" — in
all new
cars and light trucks. . . When a car is involved in a crash or when
its
airbags deploy, inputs from the vehicle's sensors during the 5 to 10
seconds
before impact are automatically preserved. That's usually enough to
record
things like how fast the car was traveling and whether the driver
applied
the brake, was steering erratically or had a seat belt on."

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...#ixzz2ENkLjj2o

I can see a cottage industry for modding automobile black boxes. Of
course there are already ways to hack automobile computers and I don't
think it's any great leap to the formation of black box hacking clubs
and widespread information and how-to's showing up on The Web. ^_^

This is being driven by the insurance companies, as part of their
effort
to determine and assign fault for so-called accidents (better
defined as
crashes, since the majority are preventable). They'll make a condition
of being insured that the data is available. You tamper the box, they
won't pay your claim.

You don't know a lot about hacking do you? The point of hacking is to
conceal the tampering. GPS recording can be handled with GPS jammers
which are available and not that expensive. ^_^

TDD

Hey Mr. Paranoid, these aren't GPS trackers. And the data is the
property of the vehicle's owner. AND over 90% of the vehicles on the
road _already_ have these installed.

JHC! WTF do you think is the basis for OnStar? I don't think you were
paying attention in class. ^_^

http://gizmodo.com/5540029/no-kiddin...ely-controlled

http://tinyurl.com/388s889

TDD