Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Auto "Black Boxes" to be required shortly

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 09:55:56 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"In the next few days, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is
expected to propose long-delayed regulations requiring auto manufacturers to
include event data recorders — better known as "black boxes" — in all new
cars and light trucks. . . When a car is involved in a crash or when its
airbags deploy, inputs from the vehicle's sensors during the 5 to 10 seconds
before impact are automatically preserved. That's usually enough to record
things like how fast the car was traveling and whether the driver applied
the brake, was steering erratically or had a seat belt on."

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...#ixzz2ENkLjj2o

note;
"But the agency is behind the curve. Automakers have been quietly
tucking the devices, which automatically record the actions of drivers
and the responses of their vehicles in a continuous information loop,
into most new cars for years."

"all" instead of 'most' works for me. And I'm fine with an
insurance company not paying the guy who altered his, too.

I love the Fox headline that refers to the last paragraph quoting a R
congresscritter.

The article itself seems to support the idea.

Jim