Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Simon[_2_] Bob Simon[_2_] is offline

Default FM Antenna

The electrician had to work another job this morning so the contractor brought over his connectors and tools. (The box of cable was already here.) The new 65' run from the antenna in the attic allows my receiver to play even marginal stations without pressing the mono button so I'm happy to report that this was a complete success. No need for an amp at the antenna.

Since I've never pressed on a compression connector before, I'd like to know if I'm doing this optimally. First, I adjusted the stripper to leave all the braided shield on the inside cut while going almost all the way to the core for the outside cut. Then I folded the braid back over the jacket while leaving the foil covering the insulator and pushed on the connector until the foam was even with the inside of the connector. Finally, I inserted the core and connector into the handle of the tool, made sure it was aligned, and squeezed.

For the quad-shield RG-6, I left only the inside foil on the foam and folded the rest over the jacket. It was a lot harder to push the connector on the cable so I used a twisting motion.