Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Best sander for beginner restorator

On Dec 4, 8:13*pm, Pma865 wrote:
Hi there,

My husband is really keen to get into furniture restoration, mainly
tables and basic wooden furniture. *I wanted to get him a sander for
Christmas to start off his tool collection but I am not really sure what
kind of sander would suit. *He hasn't done much woodwork/restoration
before so is very much a beginner but I think it is something that he
will enjoying doing and would be quite good at after a bit of practice.
I want to get him a sander that he can use now while he is learning but
also something that he can still use once he has got the hang of
restoration and is keen to restore some trickier pieces.

Any help would be great!! I am a very lost wife in the unfamiliar world
of fruniture restoration!

Hardwood furniture? A card scraper will leave a belt sander in
the dust.

http://www.woodsmithstore.com/cabinetscraper.html