Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Tony Palermo Tony Palermo is offline

Default What do you put on a brown wood door facing the sun & rain?

walter wrote:

remove all old varnish by sanding or stripping, plus finish sanding.
Next you use a good quality oil based stain in a medium brown.
Then you use a spar varnish.
I recommend Minwax "Helmsman" Spar Urethane (HD)
apply at least 3 coats.
shows off the grain of the mahogany.
I add a new coat every five years.
Same treatment for the sill.

This is a great plan because it allows me to stain and restore
the mahogany wood door.

On the inside of the door I used "Restor-A-Finish" by Howard Products.
I used Golden Oak finish. You wipe it on with a rag. Works great.

This is interesting. I will look for it at Home Depot.