Posted to alt.home.repair
Attila Iskander Attila Iskander is offline

Default Social Security Number

wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 14:07:33 -0500, George
wrote:

On 12/6/2012 9:22 AM, wrote:
On Dec 6, 8:46 am, George wrote:
On 12/5/2012 12:56 PM, wrote:

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 11:57:07 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 23:16:50 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

stuff snipped

Right, but they don't need that until a job offer is made and
accepted.

Exactly... which is why I tell my daughters when taking an
interview,
they will supply their SS # upon employment.

Good idea. A smart employer should realize that an applicant smart
enough
to care about securing their own personal data might care enough to
protect
company data as well.

Most employers would just think this guy is hiding something or he is
going to be a pain in the ass employee and just throw the application
in the trash.

A big box or megacorp definitely would because they are looking for
bodies to meld into their system at the cheapest price. A smart small
business might appreciate that the person has a brain.- Hide quoted
text -

So then you have to ask yourself. How lucky to you feel today?
Is it worth having the prospective employer throw the application
in the trash because you didn't supply the SS#? With unemployment
at 8% I know what my answer would be. But on the other hand
when you can collect unemployment for 2 years, food stamps,
free healthcare, I guess that changes the equation. In fact, maybe
leaving it off is a good idea. One way to go on those job interviews
and make sure you don't get the job.

Like all things in life it isn't a black and white scenario that you
rely on.

After all this is nothing but a business transaction. You are offering
something for sale and someone may want to buy it. Terms and conditions
are a moving target.

It is *exactly* a business transaction. One person has a product to
sell and another has money to buy. Just like a retail transaction,
there are agents in the middle who operate with a set of rules that
they usually have no power to change. If you don't follow the rules,
you lose.

If say it is a position at the big box mart chances are you are going
nowhere if you don't absolutely comply with whatever procedures are in
place. But say it is a skilled or professional position. Then you have
bargaining room. The employer makes an offer and you make a counter
offer. Everytime I accepted a position there was a period of negotiation
with offers and counter offers leading into it. If we agreed the usual
deal on the first day was a request to "stop by HR and give them
information so they can enter you into the payroll system".

Complete nonsense.

Just because YOU never had that experience does NOT mean it's not true or
"complete nonsense".
All you are demonstrating with such comments, is that you have spent your
life working at the low end of the food chain.

I had one job offer that went.
"We have heard good things about you
We would like to hire you to work X hours a week at $YY.00 (as per
union Contract) per hour.
All you need to do is come fully prepared to do A,B.C. those X
hours."
We will provide all administrative support.
nterested ?"

Did that for 10 years on the side of my regular consulting job
I could have done nothing else but just those X hours a week, and lived
very comfortably of that income.