Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Sealing Plywood

On Dec 5, 5:51*pm, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:31:01 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote:

* I just finished making a plywood door for a game cabinet The

original

* door had been made of particle board, but the 3/8" lip on both ends

had begun to disintegrat over the years.

* Since the disadvantage in using plywood is that it tends to warp,

is

there a good way to seal it to prevent this before I prime and

paint?

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Swing already put this to bed.

Dewaxed shellac.

"Searcher7" wrote:

I'm not going for a clear finish. The door has to be primed and

painted black after I seal it.

Clear or painted surface has NOTHING to do with sealing the surface.

You wanted a sealer which is what dewaxed shellac does and it also

serves as a primer for the raw materials.

I'm assuming you are saying that the sealer/primer I already have is not good enough, correct? And that Zinsser Bullseye® SealCoat™ can be painted over?

Dewaxed shellac is the best sealer made, can be painted over
with anything.