Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - Glue-up Part1

On 12/6/2012 2:39 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
For my general education, what would happen if you had skipped the 120?
More visible swirl marks?

Everyone has their way of doing things. Personally I hesitate to go much
further than 150 when staining, depending upon the wood (open grain,
like red oak, etc is an exception where I would routinely go to 180).

When doing a hand rubbed oil/poly/wax finish, I routinely go to at least
220, and more often, 320 ... then again, I'm usually working with cherry
or walnut on those projects.

The 220 in this case was just what was needed to break the edges, while
giving me a chance to touch and feel all the parts for any problems,
including swirls parts. Except when pre-finishing, I usually save that
step for last, after the piece is assembled.

Ideal situation is to have a drum sander ... ask Leon just how much of
this particular kind of time that saves.

Although a drum sander would be something I would jump on should I find
one for sale, basically I can justify the expense, but not the space ...
gotta draw a line somewhere.

Thanks so much for the tips. And I hope you'll
forgive the "arugula" wisecrack.

Damned auto correct ... no problem.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com