Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] krw@at.biz is offline

Default Social Security Number

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 08:51:24 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:56:42 -0500, wrote:

Most employers would just think this guy is hiding something or he is
going to be a pain in the ass employee and just throw the application
in the trash.

Responsible employers don't ask for personal information they do not
need. They don't take on the risk of keeping it on file. Some states
have privacy laws that require such information to be kept double
locked for security.

Been lurking on this thread for a while, but time to toss in my 2 cents:
You're absolutely right, Ed. There is absolutely no legitimate reason to
ask for an SSN on the application, and a bunch of good reasons not to.
But, those who disagree will not be persuaded by logical argument.

Logic has nothing to do with reality. The *fact* is that employers do
want this information in advance of the hiring decision and
*certainly* ahead of any offer. IME, there is no "job pending
background checks". They want that done before the offer is even
made.

I bet it's the same crowd who pretends to want smaller and less
intrusive government who think it's fine to give away all your privacy
to some ****ing nosy bureaucratic HR manager. I don't even want the
supermarkets to keep track of my purchases. Once got 86'ed at Ralphs
because I told the manager I didn't want to be ****ed in the ass at the
cash register just because I didn't want to join his ****ing club.

I'm all for limiting information creep. However reality is something
different. That horse is long gone.

snipped idiotic ramblings