Posted to sci.electronics.repair
nesesu nesesu is offline

Default Dehumidifier - compressor stall?

On Thursday, December 6, 2012 4:48:07 AM UTC-8, N_Cook wrote:
As a sealed unit I suppose there is nothing other than banging the compressor housing to reset the problem. Sometimes it will start properly so not permanently seized. Control board fuse of 1.6 amp (240V supply) has never blown but stall? current must be something more than 1 amp.

If the 'off' time is too short, the compressors will often not be able to start into the back pressure that has not bled off yet. On my dehumidifiers that seems to take about 5 minutes. If the compressor is capacitor start [external capacitor] then I would also check that the cap is not worn out. As you surmise, the motor current is not passing through that small fuse on the control board. Even at 240V the compressor stall current will probably be well over 5A since I am guessing that my 120V units are drawing 10-12A at start stall.

Neil S.