Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default An idiot and his table saw...

On Dec 5, 8:57*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 09:46:12 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 5, 10:15 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Leon wrote:

10+ years ago before the SawStop was in production I questioned Gass
about this. My TS accident happened after I finished a cut and had
turned the saw off. The blade was coasting down to a stop when I was
cut. I wanted to know back then it those bases were covered also.

A modification can be made to table saws with induction or split
phase motors. You change the power switch from SPST to SPDT, add a
diode & electrolytic capacitor that charges when the motor is running.
When you switch the motor off, the capacitor discharges through the
motor, causing a rapid braking effect. This can't be done with
universal motors, since they will run on DC.

Even if this could work, it would have to be one hell
of a huge cap to hold enough energy to stop a spinning motor
and saw blade in the time to prevent injury. *The cap might
be bigger than the saw. * And I have my
doubts about it working at all, ie simply feeding DC into an
AC motor that has lost power being effective at braking.

It does work. *You're not trying to turn the rotor backwards, just
stop it. * The DC source isn't even needed, just short the thing. This
is how dynamic braking is done in diesel-electric trains, and such,
though hey use resistor banks to change the braking characteristics.

Sure. It's done in motors that are designed to do it.
Now show us a typical table saw motor that is capable of it.
And show us any motor where you can stop it in around 1 ms, like
the SawStop does, to prevent injury, by just shorting it.
Or even where you can stop it with the proposed addition
of a capacitor. It would have to be one hell of a cap to
stop a saw instantly.

But beyond that, why on earth would you? *The energy
that it would take to keep the SawStop system active for
a minute during spin-down following loss of power has
to be tiny compared to what it would take for the electric
motor braking approach.

Firing the SawStop mechanism is a one-shot event. *After you clean
your shorts, you get to replace the mechanism and the blade. *Dynamic
braking is a freebie and can be done every power cycle.- Hide quoted text -

The proposal as I understood it wasn't to replace the SawStop, but
to supplement it if power fails. But I'll say it again, no
reasonable,
practical dynamic braking is going to stop a table saw in anywhere
near the time it takes to prevent injury. You'd need a huge power
store of some kind.