Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default An idiot and his table saw... The truth

On Dec 5, 1:48*pm, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 12/5/2012 12:19 PM, wrote:

* If you don't
believe that people do not want to accept responsibility for their own
actions, and prefer to be victims of others, just take a look at the Hitachi
contractor's saw lawsuit. *Or, the McDonald's coffee lawsuit. Or...

As I replied to Keith, what does any of that have to do
with the usefulness of SawStop on a table saw? *It's not
an issue of personal responsibility. *It's an issue of safety
and the fact that accidents happen to everyone.

What has this to do with personally responsibility? *If you are stupid
enough to put a cup of near boiling hot coffee between your legs, the
company that made the coffee hot like you told them you want should not
be held responsible for your stupidity.

I never suggested suing anyone. The thread isn't about
suing anyone for anything. It's about a device that can stop
a spinning saw to prevent injury. Kind of like seatbelts in
cars and airbags, both of which have proven to have
significant benefits.

I am as safe as any one. *The stupid mistake I made with my table saw is
the first I have made in the 50 years of using the saw. Should I have
the right to sue the manufacture because I was stupid?

Again, the issue was SawStop, not litigation.

The nanny state can not continue to require some safety device for every
stupid action that someone makes. * If someone does something stupid and
looses a finger, it will be (or not be)there to remind them to be safer
in the future.

That kind of Darwinian logic means we should remove
all safety devices from everything and we'd be better off.
Seat belts, air bags, smoke detectors..

Regardless of how many safety devices are places on a saw or anything
else you use, they will not make you safe unless you accept the
responsibility for your own safety. *If you do not know enough about the
saw or whatever device you are using to KNOW what is an unsafe act, you
should not be using it.

Did you watch the video? Even the experienced woodworker
didn't realize how close he came to a serious injury while making
that video. Yes, there is SOME relationship between personal
responsibility and accident rates. But even the most responsible
person can still have an accident. I asked you before. The
conservatives out there are always talking about personal
responsibility. They speak out like you do about it not being
right for someone to sue if they pour hot coffee on themselves.
So, let's look at them. You think they are immune from
accidents? MAYBE they have a somewhat lower accident
rate, but I guarantee you plenty of them have had saw
accidents. It's a SAFETY issue and ACCIDENTS happen]
to everyone. That's why we call them accidents, not
"on purposes".

Maybe the next step is for our nanny state is to regulate the use of
table saws, and only allow you to use it after you have passed a test
and paid the government money for a license. *Because government
licenses we now have no auto death or injuries.

Passing a test would seem to be more in line with your
method, ie making people personally responsible. The only
way I see a 40 year old who isn't responsible possibly
becoming responsible around a saw is via education.
Yeah, I know, you'd prefer he visit the hospital to learn
and have all of us pay for it, right?