Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Power to server & machine and headend room from CU....

Isn't this lot going to make the loft rather hot escpecially in the summer?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Stephen H" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm building a computer server farm, network switch rack and TV/Sat/Radio
headend in my loft. All of these gadgets need 240 volt power via 13amp
plugs.

This means lots and lots of double sockets. :-)

I'm planning on putting in a 32A RCBO in the CU to power all this kit in
the loft via suitable wiring.

The reason for a separate RCBO is to ensure high power availability so
that faults elsewhere in the house do not kill power and hence cause data
corruption in the computer servers.

Now, I have acquired some 2nd hand bench power strips that are basically
white plastic trunking with double sockets inserted. They are wired in a
ring main fashion within the trunking and had a RCBO in at one end.

See https://www.dropbox.com/s/562yp1r27v...Close%20up.JPG and

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfcvrg71q9...mal%20view.JPG

I intend to modify all these by putting in as many double sockets as the
trunking allows which will be 10 double sockets over a length of 2 metres.

This entire assembly will then be fixed to the loft gable end wall and
then provide a fixed wired cable from this assembly back to the CU.

This will then power all my kit.

Now my questions:

Should I use a single run of 4mm2 cable run back to the 32A RCBO or should
I use 2.5mm2 T&E in a ring main fashion as per normal practice for ring
main sockets?

Will all this be compliant with wiring regs such as socket spacing &
density?

Regards,

Stephen.