Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain harryagain is offline

Default Power to server & machine and headend room from CU....

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 21:13:57 +0000, Stephen H wrote:

I'm building a computer server farm, network switch rack and
TV/Sat/Radio headend in my loft. All of these gadgets need 240 volt
power via 13amp plugs.

This means lots and lots of double sockets. :-)

Do they have to be 13A plugs? Can you not use IEC connectors and a rack
mounted PDU or even an IEC distribution strip?

I guess you have a number of wall warts though. When I do the
server/comms/head end here there won't be any wall warts just a beefy 12v
PSU and fused distribution to the various bits of kit. If I need a
different DC voltage a small DC-DC converter will provide that.

I'm also sort of surprised that you need a 7kW+ supply, unless you have
seriously powerful server farm. In which case I assume half of the 7kW is
for the aircon to keep the loft cool in the winter. In summer you'll
probably need all 7kW to keep the kit cool, lofts get damn hot in the
summer... It might not be the best place to have electronics.

The above is true. You really need to insulate the roof (sloping bits) if
you are going to
do this. The temperature up there could hit 40 degrees in Summer otherwise.
You might consider the use of mulitgang sockets.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Surge-protec.../dp/B000MWX9FY