Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Social Security Number

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 05:12:37 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I hope you recogize the need to run background checks to
avoid hiring someone who is a fugitive? Or hiring a guy
convicted of embezlement to be your bookkeeper? Or
a night janitor who is a burglar?

Now, would you rather find that out before making the job
offer, when you can just politely tell them that you filled
the position internally. Or would you prefer to wait until
you tell them they have the job, then ask for the SS#, then
do the check, then have to tell them the specific reason
why they are now not getting the job? How about the
candidate turns out to be an axe murderer or a member
of the Bloods convicted of a drive-by? You want to make
that call?

I still contend, you don't need that for the initial application. At
the time of a second interview you can ask for it and simply state,
"we are interested in making you an offer contingent of a background
check".

How many times recently have you seen where information was stolen and
companies have to provide protection for a year after? Do you want to
take on that liability just because you have an application for a
couple hundred prospective employees that did not make the cut? IMO,
that is irresponsible putting your company at risk for no good reason.