Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default Sealing Plywood

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 15:36:46 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

On 12/5/2012 2:34 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/5/12 3:04 PM, wrote:
Dewaxed shellac.

I'm not going for a clear finish. The door has to be primed and

painted black after I seal it.

Your primer and paint will seal it Darren.

Thanks a lot.

So I'm assuming using the Thompson's WaterSeal beforehand wouldn't be
needed.

I may be wrong but I don't think that stuff was ever meant to be painted
over.
IIRC, it's some kind of penetrating oil that *doesn't* dissolve or
evaporate. *That's* how it keeps water out.
For your interior paint application, that is probably the worst thing
you could use.

the msds for thompson's waterseal is pretty short. mostly some light
hydrocarbons (which will evaporate pretty quickly) with a little wax
thrown in.

http://www.tompkins-co.org/msds/m2805.pdf

% by WT CAS No. INGREDIENT UNITS VAPOR PRESSURE
7 64742-88-7 Mineral Spirits
29 64742-48-9 Hydrotreated Heavy Petroleum Naphtha
29 64742-47-8 Light Aliphatic Hydrocarbon
16 8012-95-1 Paraffin Oil
2 25550-14-5 Ethyltoluene
0.1 91-20-3 Naphthalene

i don't think you want to paint over this.

I used it once and it was a waste of money. It might hold up in
Arizona but it's worthless in the NW.

Mike M