Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Do they make holesaw blades for steel doors?

In article ,
wrote:
Do they make holesaw blades for steel doors?

In order to install a door lock, one needs to make about a 2 inch hole
in a door. On a wooden door, a common hole saw works fine. But on a
steel door, (which is two layers of a fairly thin steel with wood
sandwiched in the middle, around the perimeter).

I did this once with a standard holesaw, ruined the saw and made a very
messy hole in the door which the lock did not cover real well, forcing
me to just put silicone caulk around the base of the lock to seal the
bad spots. I also had to file the hole several times to get the lock
the wood.

...etc...

A good quality hole saw like a Morse or Starret will go through several
standard steel-clad before it needs to be resharpened. For a one-off
use, you can get away with a throw-away priced blade from Harbor Freight.