Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] krw@at.biz is offline

Default An idiot and his table saw...

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 10:15:45 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Leon wrote:

10+ years ago before the SawStop was in production I questioned Gass
about this. My TS accident happened after I finished a cut and had
turned the saw off. The blade was coasting down to a stop when I was
cut. I wanted to know back then it those bases were covered also.

A modification can be made to table saws with induction or split
phase motors. You change the power switch from SPST to SPDT, add a
diode & electrolytic capacitor that charges when the motor is running.
When you switch the motor off, the capacitor discharges through the
motor, causing a rapid braking effect. This can't be done with
universal motors, since they will run on DC.

Yes, miter saws use a similar scheme as a blade brake. I'm really
surprised that table saws don't do this. It's almost free. Hell, all
you have to do is short the motor, the capacitor and such is just
trimming.

The only time I've come anywhere close to having an "issue" with my
table saw was when it was coasting down. It's (relatively) quiet and
I can't see the blade spinning so it takes a conscious effort to keep
the finnners out of the machinery.