Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] krw@at.biz is offline

Default An idiot and his table saw... The truth

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 14:00:50 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
On 12/5/2012 12:19 PM, wrote:

If you don't
believe that people do not want to accept responsibility for their own
actions, and prefer to be victims of others, just take a look at the
Hitachi
contractor's saw lawsuit. Or, the McDonald's coffee lawsuit. Or...
As I replied to Keith, what does any of that have to do
with the usefulness of SawStop on a table saw? It's not
an issue of personal responsibility. It's an issue of safety
and the fact that accidents happen to everyone.

What has this to do with personally responsibility? If you are stupid
enough to put a cup of near boiling hot coffee between your legs, the
company that made the coffee hot like you told them you want should not be
held responsible for your stupidity.

I am as safe as any one. The stupid mistake I made with my table saw is
the first I have made in the 50 years of using the saw. Should I have the
right to sue the manufacture because I was stupid?

The nanny state can not continue to require some safety device for every
stupid action that someone makes. If someone does something stupid and
looses a finger, it will be (or not be)there to remind them to be safer in
the future.

Regardless of how many safety devices are places on a saw or anything else
you use, they will not make you safe unless you accept the responsibility
for your own safety. If you do not know enough about the saw or whatever
device you are using to KNOW what is an unsafe act, you should not be
using it.

Maybe the next step is for our nanny state is to regulate the use of table
saws, and only allow you to use it after you have passed a test and paid
the government money for a license. Because government licenses we now
have no auto death or injuries.

I can deal with a nanny-state, but not a nanny-state that also sodomizes me
economically.

You can't have one without the other. Either you own the government
or the government owns you. There is no middle ground.

You can't be my parent AND **** me....

But the government can be your parent and **** you. ...and it will do
both if you let it, which seems to please you.

Trader4 can mebbe deal wit dat, but Moi cannot.... lol

Except that it's clear that you are OK with that.