Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default An idiot and his table saw...

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 12/4/2012 11:38 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/4/2012 4:56 PM, Red Green wrote:
dpb wrote in :

On 12/4/2012 12:33 PM, dpb wrote:

[snip]

Let's see, power goes out, lights go out, hand reduces down/forward
pressure, wood kicks, fingers hit hot dog blade that's spinnning
full bore, ooops! no electricity to sense, fingers splat on back
wall. Wonder if hot dog man has that one covered?

If the saw was running, it will stop if there is a loss of power.
Yes the stop will work if the saw is turned off.

Capacitor

Do you know that for a fact, Leon or is that speculation? Yes, a
capacitor could be used to discharge the SawStop mechanism but I'm
wondering if it's also set up (assuming that this is NOT a
speculative solution) to power the sensing circuitry.

In any event, strike your phrase "if the saw is turned off" as
erroneous and/or misleading. If the saw is turned off, how would you
ever change the blade without the device triggering. Better to say
"even with a loss of power" (if such is truly the case).

It was fact 10 or so years ago, I questioned SawStop about the
possibility and or being cut after the was was turned off.

There is more than one switch on the saw.

But to be sure nothing has changed I have e-mailed SawStop with the
question. I'll provide the answer when I get it.

Somebody needs to kill the power and toss a hot dog on the blade to
settle this Q.