Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] Searcher7@mail.con2.com is offline

Default Sealing Plywood

On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:34:16 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/5/12 3:04 PM, wrote:

Dewaxed shellac.

I'm not going for a clear finish. The door has to be primed and

painted black after I seal it.

Your primer and paint will seal it Darren.

Thanks a lot.

So I'm assuming using the Thompson's WaterSeal beforehand wouldn't be needed.

I may be wrong but I don't think that stuff was ever meant to be painted

over.

IIRC, it's some kind of penetrating oil that *doesn't* dissolve or

evaporate. *That's* how it keeps water out.

For your interior paint application, that is probably the worst thing

you could use.

Then I'll stick with just the primer/sealer. I just wish the glue in the Home Depot plywood was as strong as the glue used on the barcode sticker.

I'm trying not to break through the veneer taking it off with a chisel because I'm not sure that "Goof Off" will soak into the wood and effect the primer's performance when I apply it afterwards.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.