Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Best sander for beginner restorator

Puckdropper wrote:
Pma865 wrote in
:

Hi there,

My husband is really keen to get into furniture restoration, mainly
tables and basic wooden furniture. I wanted to get him a sander for
Christmas to start off his tool collection but I am not really sure
what kind of sander would suit. He hasn't done much
woodwork/restoration before so is very much a beginner but I think it
is something that he will enjoying doing and would be quite good at
after a bit of practice. I want to get him a sander that he can use
now while he is learning but also something that he can still use once
he has got the hang of restoration and is keen to restore some
trickier pieces.

Any help would be great!! I am a very lost wife in the unfamiliar
world of fruniture restoration!

Thanks.

It's hard to go wrong with a Bosch 1297DK. Robatoy spent my money on it
(recommended it) about 2 years ago, and I've been pretty happy with it
ever since.

I think it's worth noting that 25% of the reviewers were unhappy with
the way that sander holds the sandpaper in the front. Maybe the problem
has been resolved. I don't own it, so I can't say. I appreciate every
recommendation!

It's a 1/4 sheet palm sander that uses standard sheets of sandpaper.
While you can buy 1/4 sheets, all you need is the full size sheets.
Fold in half one way, then the other and cut on the fold lines.

One drawback to this sander is the vacuum attachment. The tool requires
an adapter to fit a standard 1 1/4" shop-vac hose. I don't remember if
the adapter was included in the box or not.

Lowes had it in my area, but their site isn't showing any in stock.
However, Amazon has it for $55 the same price.

Puckdropper