Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Electrical outlet testing

..-. wrote:
"nestork" wrote in message

Meanie;2970774 Wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
...-
Screw the wires on, not back stab them.
-
Interesting, they were back stabbed in. I'll buy anew and use the
screws.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that's where the problem was
right there.

I wouldn't even bother buying a new receptacle. I'd put the wires on
the screw terminals, and that should fix the problem. Those back
stab terminals have been nothing but problems since they came out
with the stupid things.
Use the screw terminals instead, even thought they take a few
minutes, and avoid hours of frustration trying to locate the wiring
problems associated with back stabbed connections.

nestork

There's too much variability in the quality of back-stab outlets in
my view. I've had problems with them too. But, I do like the type
that takes the straight wire and then clamps it tight via a screw. Bending
the wire and getting it just right around the screw is what
takes the time.

I like them too. I think they are called "back wired" outlets, and that's
what I always look for even though they may cost a little more than some of
the other outlets on the shelf.