Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

Default Main Water Supply Line freeze protection

On Dec 4, 9:03*am, "TomR" wrote:
bob haller wrote:
sounds like you will have no need for water over the winter.

if thats the case shut off water at curb, remove the valve and
fittings from the incoming water line indoors......

then siphon the remaining above floor water stuck in the line with
aquarium tubing....... suck on it if needed...

leave the meter and everything off till spring.

this way you have no need to heat the line or worry about a possible
freeze up, since there will be no water to freeze.....

I like the idea about the tubing to take the remaining water out of the line
near the basement.

I do want to put in the new shutoff ball valve with a drain port so I'll
already have a way to turn off the water from the inside if needed. *I'll be
leaving the new valve open and drain port on the valve open. *I assume that
the shutoff valve at the street works okay, but just in case it has a slow
leak or develops any problem, I want to have an inside shutoff valve as a
backup.

If I understand the issue, you have capped off the main line from the
street and removed the water meter. I would put a temporary connector
on the pipe coming from the house (where it would attach to the meter)
and hook up an air compressor. Then blow any water out of the
system. This is similar to winterizing a lawn sprinkler system.
I'm not sure it it would work in your situation, but it's an idea to
think about.

Robin