Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan alan is offline

Default lighting update and a question about fluorescent starters

On 02/12/2012 20:58, Fred wrote:

The starter is not living up to their claims and the tube does blink
each time I turn the light on. I put one of my green 100% electronic
starters in and the tube strikes first time but there is a hum before
it does so. I have never had a hum when using an electronic starter in
any other light before. So my reason for waffling on about all this is
to ask: will it be ok to use the "proper" electronic starter in this
light fitting or is the fact that it is humming telling me something
is not quite compatible?

This company does a instant start starter (0.3 seconds) that claims to
have circuits that protect when the tube dies.

The fitting comes on with a with a slight womfff noise from the fitting.
http://users.tpg.com.au/pschamb/light.html
http://www.tabelek.co.uk/datasheets/300C-Datasheet.pdf

The company also does non-flicker starters that take 1 to 2 seconds to
light the tube.
http://www.tabelek.co.uk/product-electronic-fluorescent-tube-starters.asp

See also
http://users.tpg.com.au/pschamb/light.html