Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stucco water repellent

On Dec 4, 7:39*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
wrote:
Hi, I have colored stucco on my home, and it has been 12 years. It has
never been painted. I plan to hire someone to paint the stucco with
the original color. There is an area where the wall has some mildew
stains on it. After I kill off the mildew, is there a product that can
be mixed with the paint to help repel water? Or something that can be
applied after painting, such as a water sealer?

Anyone has experience with Okon PaintBooster?
http://www.okoninc.com/productPg-PaintBooster.asp. I heard mixing
paint with any water repeller may weaken the paint.

I plan to use either Dunn Edwards EverShield or Sherwin Williams
SuperPaint. Which one is better for exterior stucco?

Thanks

No idea which of the paints is better but any decent acrylic paint will work
just fine on stucco.

We repainted our stucco *over concrete block house about 2 1/2 years ago.
The paint that was there was 14 years old and was chalking but not peeling.
It was a middle grade acrylic.

The paint itself will repel water. *Some people like to use a sealer before
the paint so that the stucco doesn't suck up as much paint. *Around here -
central Florida - Original Seal Krete is popular for that purpose. *It is
just a clear, acrylic "paint" with minimal acrylic and no color. *It can be
applied with a garden sprayer. *It is the same thing as your Okon Paint
Booster but has less acrylic, price is around $12/gallon.http://www.seal-krete.com/

My suggestions for you would be...

1. Power wash
2. Optionally, apply sealer
3. Paint

--

dadiOH

Winters getting colder? *Tired of the rat race?
Maybe just ready for a change? *Check it out...http://www.floridaloghouse.net- Hide quoted text -

In additon to the good advice already give, there are
products you can buy at the paint store that you can
mix with the paint to help inhibit mildew. Don't know how
well they work or last. But if the mildew took many years
to develop, the simplest thing may be to just power wash
it as needed.