Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Win7 printer hint

On Dec 4, 1:14*pm, "Paul D Smith" wrote:
Talk of the WinXP printer woes reminded me of a problem I had to fix
recently. *We have a printer attached to a WindowsXP box but we wanted to
access it from a new Win7 box.

Try as I might I could not get it to work until I found a website which
explained that I needed to plug the printer directly into the Win7 box,
install the drivers, and then I could unplug it and configure it as a
networked printer.

Simple but I was cursing a lot until I figured it out so I hope this saves
someone the irritation.

Paul DS.

There's no need to plug the printer in to the Win7 machine. A simple
google search leads to:

assume the computers are call XPMACHINE and W7MACHINE.

1) Ensure Printer on XP machine is shared - assume it's called
SHAREDPRINTER.

2) On the Network Browsing on your Windows 7 machine ensure you can
"See" the Printer share.

Now on the Windows 7 machine do the following (doesn't matter if it's
X-86 or x-64).

3) Control Panel== add LOCAL (Yes LOCAL) printer. I know it's on a
Network but hold your horses -- what we are actually doing is
"Poodlefaking" the Windows 7 machine into thinking it's running the
printer.

4) Create NEW port==Local port

5) Portname is \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

6) Now Windows 7 will load a driver and you'll be able to print on the
XP machine.

Simple

MBQ