Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default FM Antenna

It doesn't just boost the signal. It cleans it up.

Not really, but it seems like it would help get rid of overload from
excessively strong nearby TV signals. Just an FM band pass filter
would probably do most of the heavy lifting.

I guess it depends on how you define "clean up" -- but it definitely audibly
improves some signals. And this improvement varies with the setting of the
preselector control.

Obviously -- your mileage may vary. I wouldn't recommend the product if it
didn't work for me.

Remember to put ferrite chokes on the AC power cords of all your FM
equipment (and possibly the audio cables), so the good work done by
the MD 205 won't be undone by direct RF entry.

That does no good with todays plastic case, unshielded receivers. Some
work better with no antenna attached. The FCC Part 15 conducted
radiation filter found the AC power cable usually does a great job of
blocking such RF pickup.

Not on the metal-cabineted products I own.

I've never heard of such a filter. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but
I've never heard of it.

Without a line choke on the tuner, the MD 205 simply doesn't work properly.