Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] chriskv@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default 2 or 6 Harbor Freight 6/12 volt battery charger model #45005 2 or 6Amps -has a fried diode?

So my charger made a noise today when I tried to charge car battery. I immediately opened it up and one of the two larger diodes was still warm. Tried to charge again and heard same noise and same diode was very hot. Looks like the diode is getting so hot it expands on the circuit board and makes a cracking sound. The manual states that the manufacturer (Chicago Electric) sells no parts for these. The stamp on diode says BT151. Web search shows several variations of this diode. Not sure of exact differences but some of difference were variances between average amperage(between 7.5 and 12 amps), and voltages between 500-800. Voltages are way over minumum specs so should be ok there. Would it be ok put in one of these replacements -I assume a new match set should go in?

Woody