Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Holmes Chris Holmes is offline

Default My ongoing, intermittent Wallstar oil boiler problem AGAIN!

On 3 Dec, 12:34, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 12:11:21 +0000, MM wrote:
There are no room stats. Each rad is fitted with a fancy Honeywell
knob thingy. The ONLY control is the Danfoss timer in the utility room
at the back of the garage. (Okay, there IS the round knob on the
white-painted boiler casing INside the garage. This has MAX and MIN
settings. The boiler handbook recommends MAX for heating and hot water
and MIN for hot water only. It's currently turned to MAX.)

Downloads manual that you linked to earlier (should have done that
before, sorry). That manual covers several different models/designs but I
see that some of them have a "limit" light and associated seperate reset
button as well as the "lockout" light with integrated reset button, or
the reset button located on the burner control box itself.

Which reset button brings it back to life?

If it's the "limit" one then we have been barking up the wrong tree, try
turning the thermostat down a notch or two, this should make the boiler
shutdown before it overheats. If this cures the problem then there is
another set of potential problems that ought to be looked at and sorted
out.

If it's the "lockout" reset one then carry on with what we have been
saying this morning.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I'm pretty sure the item in MM's link in his later post is the lockout
which lives outside with the oily bits, the overheat "trip" is on the
"inside the house" side (and I have turned the wick down slightly on
my boiler stat which has resulted in it's not tripping this any longer
(not that it did it more than a couple of times in 5 or so years
anyway)).