Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Removing a lockable door chain after keys have been lost

"Tim+" wrote in message
mike wrote:
An elderly relative has a lockable door chain for which the keys
have
been lost.

http://i49.tinypic.com/350ju4h.png
http://i50.tinypic.com/9gdl6e.jpg

I thought it would be easier and cheaper to replace the whole thing
than get replacement keys, as a new chain with two keys was only
£6.

Unfortunately, when I went to remove the old one, I discovered the
latch on the end of the chain prevents access to the lower securing
screw.

Can anyone suggest a removal solution that doesn't involve drilling
out the barrel, jemmying off the old hardware or calling out a
locksmith?

Thanks in advance.

Just curious but why on earth does it have a lock? The only
function of
the lock would appear to be to stop someone (on the inside) using
the chain
as a security device.

Tim

Presumably to stop people who've entered the house by some other
means,
a window etc from easily exiting via the front door when carrying
bulky items .

Along with the lock you get a sign to put on the wall.

"Please do not attempt to jemmy this lock off of the door
as this can damage the wood "

michael adams