Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default AAA: E15 could really fark up your car, void warranties

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:

Won't work in the U.S., though, because the climate here won't
support production of sugar cane on the scale required.

that would probably be news to florida

So you think that Florida is capable of producing sugar cane on the
scale required to supply the motor vehicle fuel needs of the U.S., or
even a significant fraction thereof?

Dream on.

I'll let the post from CRNG address that issue, but there's no reason
sugar cane couldn't be expanded to other areas and I'll bet it would
grow nicely in parts of Mexico...and we do have the ability to use
Mexican ethanol

Last I checked, Mexico wasn't part of the US, so whether cane will grow in
Mexico is irrelevant to the question of whether it can be grown in the US.

but we do trade with Mexico. In fact some of that corn that is turned into
ethanol and not tortillas could have been being shipped to Mexico

We weren't talking about growing sugar cane in Mexico. You disagreed with me
when I said that it wouldn't work to try to grow it in the US.

We are already growing it in the US, of course I do understand that you mean it
wouldn't work in the sense of growing enough. Fine, so we'll grow more sugar
beets to make sugar with, we'll use sugar cane to make ethanol to replace corn
based and then the corn can be used to the worlds malnourished

I repeat: the climate in the US is inhospitable to growing sugar cane on
the scale required to produce sufficient ethanol fuel.

why be a piker: the climate in the US is inhospitable to growing many foods
on the scale to support Americans year round

Fortunately for the US, that isn't true. We're able to supply our own needs
well enough that the Federal government pays farmers to *not* grow food...

Sure, but since there are some places that like to have tomatoes, strawberries,
avocados, most fresh fruit and lots of other veggies year round, even though
they aren't necessary for survival, we import them. We can import ethanol from
Brazil

Then again, there is the sugar beet, sunchoke and hemp for ethanol, all
of which I believe are also energy positive

Certainly much of the arable land in the US is hospitable to growing sugar
beets -- but we were talking about cane, remember?

actually we were talking about ethanol, remember. if not just look at the
subject line

Not correct. You and I were talking about producing ethanol specifically from
sugar cane -- starting when I said that it wasn't feasible for the US to do
as Brazil is doing, because our climate won't support sugar cane growth on
the necessary scale.

Okay, but I was also talking about plants that could produce ethanol energy
positive, so while I wouldn't mind seeing most of florida and louisiana and
whoever else grows it turned into a big sugar cane plantation, we'll just have
to use sugar beets, sunchokes, hemp and whatever else works until we can grow
algae that feeds on oil spills and can then be converted to ethanol
--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna