Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default How to make a small clean hole?

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 14:55:24 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 16:53:33 -0500, axolotl
wrote:

A coworker bought a view camera, and while searching for glass wants to
take some pinhole pictures. I ran through the formula, and the pinhole
needs to be about .025". I have, somewhere, PCB drill bits in that size
range. The material will be brass shim or soda can. My first attempt was
going to be taping the Dremel to the quill of the drill press and go for
it. Anyone have better ideas for a clean burr free hole?

Mill the hole, don't drill it. You should be able to find an end mill
that size fairly easily. I think I have one in the sets I got from
Gunner, complete with 1/4"(?) holders.

Holders???

Sigh...big sigh......

Shrug

Otherwise, maybe use a drill press and drill it, flip it over, run a
chisel over the burr, flip it and drill; repeat until perfect.

Question: How do these mfgrs -make- bits that small, anyway?

1. Lie