Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Flickering Lights

On 11/19/2012 11:56, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've got a flickering light problem to track down.

The circuit has a few living room outlets on it with 2 incandescent
lamps plugged in and a couple of 4' florescent shop-light style
fixtures in the basement. Three times in the past week or so, all 4 of
these fixtures started flickering for few minutes and then stopped.

It appears to have been a bad breaker. I swapped the wires between 2
breakers and the flickering moved to the other circuit almost immediately.
It was a dual breaker and it looks like one breaker went bad.

The circuit that was flickering probably gets more use than any other
circuit in the house. There's a couple of living room receptacles with
lamps plugged in, the basement ceiling fluorescents, 2nd floor landing
light, basement landing light, kitchen ceiling fixture, etc. These are
lights that are used every day for hours at a time.

Anyway, I changed the breaker. Since it was an intermittent problem, we'll
wait and see, but I'm pretty sure the problem's been solved.