Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Sanding before Priming

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 12:33:34 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:50:47 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Painting over lacquer with latex is just repainting, not restoration.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. As long as the surface is smooth the three different color matched latex paints I have, which are actually primer and paint in one, will be used on the entire side which was actually originally stenciled and sprayed. The base/background color, the second and then third color, followed lastly by the black outlines.

When you "restore" something, you bring it back to original condition.
If you have a '55 Chevy and replace the chrome on the bumper with
silver paint, it is just painted, not restored. Replacing lacquer
with latex is not a restoration.