Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Sanding before Priming

On 12/1/12 11:34 PM, wrote:
I was curious as to how much sanding is usually necessary before
priming.

Is it normal to sand old or even relatively new paint completely off
before priming, or just enough so that the primer adheres?

I ask because I'm restoring some old artwork on a plywood cabinet,
and if I don't sand it off completely it would be easier to restore
the art by masking and going over it with each of the three or four
colors originally used rather than to have to start from scratch.

The artwork was originally done in lacquer paint, however the paint
I'm using to restore it is latex.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

If whatever you're applying on top will stick to what's beneath it, you
don't need to sand down to wood. With many woods, whatever is already on
the surface is better to paint over than bare wood, anyway.

Smooth is relative with paint, as well. I can't tell you how many times
I've sanded a drywall patch "perfectly smooth" only to see the borders
after painting. If there's any texture or artwork on top, it often hides
those imperfections. But a single color, smooth topcoat will often show
them.

The solution might be building up a couple layers of primer with flat
sanding in between coats. Good auto-body guys are maters of this.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--