Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Removing a lockable door chain after keys have been lost

On 02/12/2012 19:07, mike wrote:
An elderly relative has a lockable door chain for which the keys have
been lost.

http://i49.tinypic.com/350ju4h.png
http://i50.tinypic.com/9gdl6e.jpg

I thought it would be easier and cheaper to replace the whole thing
than get replacement keys, as a new chain with two keys was only £6.

Unfortunately, when I went to remove the old one, I discovered the
latch on the end of the chain prevents access to the lower securing
screw.

Can anyone suggest a removal solution that doesn't involve drilling
out the barrel, jemmying off the old hardware or calling out a
locksmith?

Thanks in advance.

I'd have to say angle grinder. Probably try to go "under" the cylinder
but above the "flange". Alternatively grip it *very firmly* with a mole
wrench and rock backwards and forwards, to try to loosen the screws.
Provided these are not too long, you may be able to remove it without
causing damage that can't be concealed by the new one.