Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Electrical outlet testing

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 21:34:34 -0500, "Meanie" wrote:

Is there a way to test a single gang outlet not connected to a circuit?

I had an issue with power loss from two outlets and a small room this
morning. The breaker is not the issue since other outlets on the same
circuit are live. I followed the run trying to find a break somewhere. From
the panel, the run Ts off. To the left, all outlets function. To the right,
it passes a junction box, then to an outlet, which is fine. From that outlet
it runs to another outlet, which is dead and from there, the rest of the
circuit is dead. Testing the outlet while connected displayed 1.2 volts as
did the other outlets after that. After disconnecting the outlet and
checking the feed wire, it puts out 120 volts. Therefore, the obvious answer
is the outlet, right? But checking the outlet off the circuit, indicates
proper continuity with the two side connections (screws) respectively, as
well as the prong slot with the screws. I know continuity isn't always a
thorough test, but in this case, it appears logical to have in order for
power to pass. Therefore, arriving to that question if it can be tested off
the circuit.

Thank you

I'd replace the receptacle, but I wouldn't throw away the old one for
a couple days.of use of the new one. It sounds like it's good.
It's amazing how confusing testing can be.

When I was about 30, a church pastor in Brooklyn hired me as a
handyman to fix they're wiring. Old beautiful church, maybe from
1890. Bulky church with cement walls in the hall and wood paneling
in the study. Had to run a wire outside the cement to the ceiling
fixture, and boy were there lots of wires behind the baseboard outlet.
It all worked when I left, but I have doubts how long it lasted. Of
course I hadn't charged much.