Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any Erector Set folks out there?

Yep - grew up on them then went into my dads real shop with more
capability.

I liked the metal 120 volt metal gear box unit - high speed take off in
the rear, and several slower ones in the front. Flip lever to change
speeds and such.

Mine was all metal - brass nuts, steel screws, pressed metal. Plastic
was exotic stuff - and Al was so special and expensive. Naturally this
was in 51 and 52 when I used them most. Passed them down to my two
younger brothers - 4 and 12 years younger.

Martin

On 11/30/2012 10:54 PM, Pete S wrote:
Seems that fewer and fewer kids are learning about building things with
toys that use real nuts and bolts these days. I think that's too bad.
I just gathered up my own small collection of Gilbert Erector set stuff
and put up a webpage about it.

It's at:

http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/Ere...ErectorSet.htm

The period I'm interested in is the 1940's and 1950's. Shortly after
that era they started taking all the fun out of it with plastic parts
and low power battery motors.

Pete Stanaitis