Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing question

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 08:04:12 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

The tube that runs from the water valve to the faucet is leaking at the
valve. It looks like the washer on the end is messed up. I can't find a
new washer and tape doesn't work. Is there any thing that I can put over
the threads or something else to do? The vanity and the bathroom are
very small and I am big, so I am trying to avoid getting up under there
to replace the entire line if there is a viable alternative. Any?

Are you referring to one of these:

http://www-img.toolstation.com/image...bbig/86348.jpg

If so, sounds like you really do need a new washer as sealing the threads
will not do much good. No hardware store nearby - or neighbours?

That is it. I thought I'd need to do that, but I wasn't able to find
a replacement washer (at least at the local Ace) and I am trying to not
replace the whole thing if I can get around for the reasons above.

The new hoses are pretty damn cheap. Buy a new hose and pirate the
washer from it. Then you won't have to replace the hose. Don't use any
tape on the threads; the washer alone does the sealing, and tape will
only interfere.

On quite a few I've seen and worked on it would be impossible to
change the washer without damaging it. They are NOT made to be
repairable, or serviceable - that's why you can't buy just the
"washer"