Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Improvised milling machine

William Bagwell wrote:

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 18:09:26 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 18:29:31 -0500, William Bagwell
wrote:

Bought a variable speed this morning... Tested it on a 3/4 X 1/2" square 'boss'
left from cutting with different sized routers. (Large one cuts smoother, small
one gets closer to the corner.) Pleasantly surprised at how well the new multi
tool worked! However, that was tiny compared to the four ~2 X 3" areas that
will need to be cut before the slots intersect.

I'm sure those will cut quickly, too. Did you get the $30 price, or
was the sale off by then? Those many 20% off coupons floating around
come in handy, too. I picked up their 45W solar panel kit for $126 on
sale and with a coupon. Some $4.50 9W LED lamps from China, some $4
fixtures from VA, and a Walmart battery will keep my home lit for days
during an outage. I think the ($15) 96144 heater from HF will help
keep the room warm, too.

$39.99 supposedly marked down from $79.99. No coupons... Need to look at one of
those panels next time I'm in there. Have been dreaming of solar since we built
our house twenty years ago. Roof faces as close to true south as I could get it
and the pitch angle matches our latitude.

Each chamber will be
separated by wooden baffles. Though I am experimenting with an all plastic bat
house.

Cool. Is it a non-outgasing plastic, I hope?

Outer shell is the same poly ethylene as all the rest with traditional wooden
baffles. One of which was very successful this past year. About a dozen bats
moved in their house (from mine) with in a month of their return and then
attracted friends. Peaked at 49 bats!

The all plastic house right beside it was mostly ignored all summer but five
bats moved into it when cooler weather started. Not true hibernation but they
are in torpor most of the time. Another long time bat house enthusiast about 50
miles away from me says he always has a few do this each year and that they
will leave for hibernation as well once we get close to a hard freeze.

Those baffles are 1/4" thick foam cored PVC mechanically grooved with my
modified jointer. PVC may be an outgasing plastic? Guess I need to look that
up... Only one bat house built that way as I'm not going to sell a style that
is not at least similar to one that is known to work.

Need to find a plastic that outgasses something to kill the "white nose"
fungus or there won't be any bats left to call the house home