Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

On 08/11/2012 07:57, harry wrote:
On Nov 7, 11:56 pm, Frank Erskine
wrote:
On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 22:26:06 +0000, Peter Crosland
wrote:

On 07/11/2012 18:40, David Robinson wrote:
Not my question, or belief, but found here...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1755197

Is there a counter-argument?

Only the terminally stupid would use a 13A fuse when a 3A is appropriate.

In the early days of colour TV I was told by a TV engineer that the
correct plug fuse for a CTV was 7A to allow for the switch-on current
surge of the degaussing circuitry.

I don't know whether or not "intermediate" BS1362 fuses such as 5A or
7A are still available.

In fact, was there not also a 1A BS1362 fuse, used for clock plugs,
but not shaver adaptors (or was it the other way round?)?

--
Frank Erskine

There was indeed. One was physically smaller than the plug fuse. You
found them in mains electric clock connectors. Of course, you never
see mains clocks any more except as radios.

Or Nixies

SteveW