Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Improvised milling machine

On 2012-11-30, William Bagwell wrote:
On 28 Nov 2012 04:06:36 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Perhaps a metal shaper with a properly shaped bit in it?

Good Luck,
DoN.

Have not even *seen* a metal shaper since Vo Tech in 77. Just Googled and was
surprised that they are actually sought after today. Well, smaller ones at
least... Will keep my eyes out for a deal.

Finding a deal is easier with the big ones. Sometimes a shop
will give it to you if you get it out of there. For the nice small
ones, like 7" stroke (e.g. my Rockwell/Delta/AMMCO one), expect to pay
in the vicinity of $1000.00. (At least back when I got mine.) The small
ones are the ones which are sought after in general. Most home shops
don't have room for the larger ones. but a small one can do some
intersting things which are difficult to do on a milling machine or
lathe.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564