Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Improvised milling machine

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 18:29:31 -0500, William Bagwell
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:57:19 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

You'd be surprised. BTW, the single-speed version is on sale for $15
right now, with coupon. You can't afford NOT to have one. I'm sure
the blades will cut aluminum (I've cut iron/steel screws with them
with no apparent dulling), but if you're not sure, get the bimetal,
diamond, or carbide half-moon blade. Keep the swarf from building up
in the cut and it cuts extremely fast.

Bought a variable speed this morning... Tested it on a 3/4 X 1/2" square 'boss'
left from cutting with different sized routers. (Large one cuts smoother, small
one gets closer to the corner.) Pleasantly surprised at how well the new multi
tool worked! However, that was tiny compared to the four ~2 X 3" areas that
will need to be cut before the slots intersect.

I'm sure those will cut quickly, too. Did you get the $30 price, or
was the sale off by then? Those many 20% off coupons floating around
come in handy, too. I picked up their 45W solar panel kit for $126 on
sale and with a coupon. Some $4.50 9W LED lamps from China, some $4
fixtures from VA, and a Walmart battery will keep my home lit for days
during an outage. I think the ($15) 96144 heater from HF will help
keep the room warm, too.

Running out of time so will remove these in stages so to keep unfinished slots
symmetrical.

Question: Doesn't the metal bat house get too warm for the critters?
And what do you use for condo separations inside?

You do realize this is a mold to make plastic bat houses?

No, I hadn't seen the word "mold" in the message I responded to. That
do makes a difference, it do. g

Each chamber will be
separated by wooden baffles. Though I am experimenting with an all plastic bat
house.

Cool. Is it a non-outgasing plastic, I hope?

http://mysecondbathouse.com/

Probably need to put a few pictures in the drop box for folks who don't click
on web links.

Prolly a good idea. Hey, in that last pic with the 19 bat houses,
aren't those installed a bit too low?

Neat project. I helped my neighbor build quite a few from leftover
plywood a few years ago. I haven't seen any bats over there, though.
I'll ask him how many were occupied. I know he gave the majority of
them away to his church friends.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt