Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Induction Cooking Table : IGBT keeping to short !

I've been following this with curiosity and amusement.

I suspect this product is a marginal design that fails more-often than it
should, but not often enough to be considered outright "defective". (The
NuWave product advertised on late-night TV seems to be plagued with similar
problems.) There is probably no way to "fix" it, short (hmmm) of a complete
bottom-up redesign. It's a shame, because a counter-top induction "burner"
is a good idea. (I almost ordered the NuWave until I learned how unreliable
it -- and its seller -- are.)

The Infinity "SWAMP" switching amplifier from the late '70s is an example of
such a marginal design. It blew its output transistors far too often. The
designer later found the problem, and admitted that adding two cheap diodes
per channel would have prevented it.