Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default Generator "Back Feed" through GFI Outlet

On Nov 29, 11:31*am, JW wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:12:45 -0600 bud-- wrote in
Message id: om:

On 11/28/2012 11:24 AM, mike wrote:
On 11/28/2012 8:52 AM, bud-- wrote:

A third approach is in Phil's post. You install a breaker in a top
position in the service panel and backfeed it from the generator. A
mechanical interlock on the door prevents the service disconnect and
generator breaker being on at the same time. Phil gave a source for the
interlocks. Some panel manufacturers also sell them.

I asked about interlocks and was beat bloody in the newsgroups that
those were NOT legal under any circumstances.

I have no idea what "the newsgroups" are.

ObMadge: You're soaking in it.

I was recently talking with a utility lineman who brought a TV in here
for repair. We were discussing this very thing. I told him that I
wouldn't want his job for any salary. He told me that back feeders who
are not smart enough to kill the main are a constant problem. There
was a case here a few years ago where a lineman was critically injured
from a back fed secondary. I'm also told that if an electrocution
should take place the AG might seek a manslaughter conviction. So
"how" I asked do these poor guys protect themselves against these
bozos?
There are apparently a number of ways this is done. First, with
utility power off on the primaries the guys ground the line, (phase)
on each side of where they're working. This does two things. first it
protects them against 240v induced into a pole pig's secondary and
second, as long as Mr. Bozo's generator connects to house neutral at
some point, which it would if he's using a suicide cord etc, it should
trip out the breakers on the generator or smoke it. They also have
inductive poles they can hold near a line that will light up and sing
in the presence of primary voltage. I still wouldn't want the job.
Lenny