Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Repair Sylvania Model 72032 LED Lite?

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 21:51:12 +1100, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

power on

Vin ~111 V

Vout to 0 V ~200 mV

This is consistent with an open circuited series resistor. The zener
is not shorted, as per your previous measurement.

That said, I'm surprised that Vin is so high. I can't imagine that the
zener voltage would be more than 10V, so this would mean that the
series resistor would need to drop a lot of voltage. It seems too
small for that kind of wattage. Something doesn't look right to me,
but I can't see the circuit clearly enough (too many components
obscuring the PCB). I don't think I can help you without a circuit
diagram.

I'm wondering if there may be a series capacitor whose function it is
to losslessly reduce the supply voltage ...

C2
bridge 1uF
rectifier 250VAC
______ | | Vin
AC1 o--| |----| |----o-- R --+----+---o Vout
| | | | | |
| | | |
AC2 o--| |-----------o-------+----+---o
|----| 0V

As for the zener voltage, perhaps we can guess at its value by
examining the battery charging circuit.

D1 100 ohm

3.6V NiMH
110mAH battery

If we assume that the charging current is 11mA (mAH rating / 10), and
if we allow for a charging voltage of 4.5V, say, then Vout would be

4.5 + (100 x 0.011) + 0.6 = 6.2V

- Franc Zabkar